Monday, May 18, 2009

The First-Trimester Trial

I really enjoy being pregnant. In fact, there is hardly anything I can complain about, even when it comes to the final days when I'm heavy-laden! Even once the baby drop has dropped, and I walk around feeling like I'm slowly splitting in half, I regard it with excitement, knowing the time is near... But there is one thing about pregnancy that I really can't wait to get past, and that is morning sickness.

For me, "morning" sickness is more like "afternoon-and-evening" sickness. So far, I haven't thrown up, but sometimes I wish I would, and the feeling makes it really hard to function. Some evenings I have prepared supper for my family, and then excused myself, going to bed without eating. Poor abandoned family!

But I have discovered some ways to deal with nausea that really seem to help. Here are some:

1) Make the most of the times of day when I feel good. I usually feel fine when I first get up, so mornings are most productive for me! I try to write and plan important activities then, and get to work before my feel-good time wanes.

2) Adjust the meals I prepare.
I used to cook a lot with garlic and onions. You can well imagine that's changed! Veggies and meats are now a little more bland, but no one complains as long as they are salted. :o)

3) Cook less; eat more raw or cold foods. Raw veggies are better for us anyway, and hubby is happy if he gets just one hot meal a day. Many times I am even able to work my funny cravings into a meal that everyone likes, even if they do look at me strange. (Cucumber, cream cheese and mustard sandwiches, anyone?)

4) Cut way back on sweets. They make it worse, at least for me they do, even if I think I want them. I don't even put sugar in my herbal tea.

5) Sip cool water with a squeeze of lemon.
Ahhhhhh.

6) As much as possible, avoid odors that set off nausea.
I keep my hair swept back because hair smells funny to me, clean or dirty. I leave the area before anyone uses hairspray or flowery-smelling hand soap. I change our pillowcases twice a week. I use mild homemade laundry soap instead of perfume-y store-bought soap.

7) Don't fuss at the family, even though I'm feeling bad.
My family is my best ally during this trying time! My fussiness affects the children, and they fuss at each other, and the tension in the house really makes the nausea worse. Besides, if I've been fussing at them, who's going to volunteer to change the toddler's diaper for me? ;o)

4 comments:

  1. Your point #7 is ALWAYS the hardest with me. I'm VERY glad to know I'm not the only one out there who is affected pregnancy emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I havent missed those big onions! HA!

    There are times when I wonder why there seems to be a block in your mind about some meals. I see the food that could be made then I am reminded that many things just sound as if they would make you sick. Sorry Honey that you dont feel good some times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Coming from CafeMom and gonna have to add you to my blog feed thing lol.

    Btw... When I was pg last time the main two things that helped me (I had all day ms for the first 5 months.. was awful) were lemon slices and chocolate. Not together of course lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, you are definitely not alone there! :o)

    Thanks for the sympathy, Honey! ;o)

    Mama Kalila, glad to see you around! Wow, five months is a long time to endure m/s. Glad you were able to find something that helped!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!