Friday, May 15, 2009

Benefits of Home Birth

As it says in my header above, I plan to have this baby at home. Not all of our children were born at home, but the Lord kinda nudged us that way when we came to Guatemala. Home is a cleaner, safer environment for bringing a new baby into the world, and is much more peaceful and private than a hospital. I love being at home for labor and delivery!

What about pain relief? It is true that at home I do not have the options of pain relief drugs and epidurals. But I do benefit from the comfort of being home, where I can eat or drink as needed, labor in whatever positions feel right at the moment, slip into my birth pool whenever I want to, and can even birth the baby right into the warm water. My husband and children are included in the birth process. (Actually, hubby's necessary! Children can leave when Mommy needs them to. ;o)


...And NO ONE is there pressuring me to do ANYTHING. All of that adds up to real peace, and I can focus on the miracle at hand. In labor, a calm, relaxed woman is a woman who can deal with her pain. Fear, uncertainty, intimidation and confusion add tension to the dynamics of labor, and increase pain to unbearable levels. No wonder women cry out for an epidural!

I truly believe, nay, I KNOW, that there is a gentler way to give birth than what the typical hospital situation has to offer.

8 comments:

  1. I always love to read about home birth! All four of ours were born at home, and we're praying for a fifth home birth this August (praying my placenta previa "moves"!). I'd like to try a waterbirth someday...but all of my labors have been so short I always wonder if I'd get much use out of the tub. Usually by the time I know I'm in labor I'm pretty much ready to push! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how my birth experiences have been from a previous comment on the topic. But I read your home birth experience and it just makes my heart ache. I totally, 100% agree with you. How can you expect a labouring mom to be calm (it's proven that tension plays a big part in your interpretation of pain) when you have impersonal nurses and even more impersonal doctors who come in, ask a few vague questions, do some test things, never let you know what's going on, leave the room to move on to the next "doctor's fee?"

    Sure, we know that God "multiply thy sorrow" (pain), but He's also not given us the spirit of fear, but of a sound mind. I agree that most of the trepidation that happens in labour is brought on unnecessarily and the poor mom is the one who has to deal with it. No wonder most families stop at 2 children!

    I've been looking and praying, but I can't find anyone who will deliver this baby. I'm just praying that the Lord takes care of my body, even if we have to have our whole family by c-section. I read an encouraging blog post by a lady out there in cyberville who just gave birth to her 10th child, all 10 via c-section!

    Joy...I'm due in August too!!

    Sorry for the long comment :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post and so true Tammy. Joshua and Hannah were both born at home while Cody was born in HCA in Arlington. I would never go back to hospital births after delivering at home. I'm so glad Daniel is there.
    I'm excited for you, and I can almost feel your excitement!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Joy! That's wonderful that your labors are short, and it's a good thing you stay at home instead of trying to get somewhere. Otherwise, you might have had some of them in the car, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Elizabeth, do not think that once a C-section, always a C-section! Women have successfully given birth vaginally after a Caesarian (VBAC) and many have said that the water of a birth pool or tub provided the support they needed.

    Here is one: http://www.waterbirth.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=45308

    And another: http://midwiferyworld.com/?p=68

    These are birth videos, some of which are VBAC water births: http://www.birthdiaries.com/diary/index.homebirths.html

    I'm not saying that this is definitely for you, but I do want to give you hope, and show you your options. PRAY. See how the Lord impresses you and your husband.

    I will be praying for you, dear. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Tori! I didn't know two of your children were born at home! I was at TBC around that time, I think, and they were the ladies at TBC who introduced me to the world of midwifery and natural childbirth. I'm so thankful. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not the supper blogger guy, but all of your posts Tammy and your commenting friends out there sure do make for an interesting read at the end of the day.

    Tammy keep posting...

    ...and all ya'll keep commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my cousins had 2 homebirths that she loved... She led me part way there... I prefer birth centers lol. We had our first in a hospital (long silly story) and am never doing that again (barring emergency). I am so looking forward to using teh birth center here next time!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!