Monday, December 14, 2009

"I'm baking cookies..."

That was my answer when my midwife asked me over the phone what I was doing right then. I was expecting my first baby, and wasn't sure what it felt like to really be in labor. When I started having pretty regular contractions, I called her up to ask if it was time to head to the birth center.

"Nope, it's not time," she said. Wise woman. If I still felt like baking cookies, I probably needed to hang out in the kitchen a while longer.

But the baby did come several hours later, and with every baby since then baking cookies has been a sort of ritual for me to prepare for labor. ..Not to mention a pretty funny joke in the family. Any time I am pregnant and baking cookies, they feign nervousness and ask me how I'm feeling!

So what is this thing about baking cookies? Maybe it's the warmth of the oven, the yummy smell in the kitchen, or the therapeutic occupation of the mind with something OTHER than impending labor. Perhaps it's simply knowing that when friends and family come over later to see the baby, there will be homemade goodies in the house to share with them, and I was able to be a hostess ahead of time.

All that is part of the reason for my ritual, I think. It came to my mind tonight because I've had a really strong urge to bake cookies lately, ha ha! Due date is not until tomorrow, and I could never hope to go into labor for real until a few days after.

But the time is really close. I'm excited! And I appreciate your prayers. :o)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I was in early labor, and planting squash with my first :) We are by the way, expecting our 4th, our first to be born in Guatemala.

    Still thinking of you regularly. Will pray that the Lord allow everything to go smoothly and peacefully.

    Yes, bake cookies! They'll keep a few days, if you hide them!

    Amy R

    ReplyDelete
  2. since Im family, I have to ask, Are you feeling OK? are you having any contractions? LOL it wont be long now

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!