Monday, August 10, 2009

Nursing (or not) while pregnant

I love breastfeeding our babies, and I like to do it for as long as I can. Breastfed babies just seem to be healthier, happier babies, and as they grow toward toddler age, they enjoy the lingering time with Mommy.

Since we tend to have a new baby every two years, you can imagine that breastfeeding one often overlaps into pregnancy with another. The only potential problem I can see with this would be a nutritional problem, but a balanced diet, plenty of water, and good prenatal vitamins meet the needs. By the time I am expecting, the older baby is usually eating and drinking at the table, and not nursing very often anyway.

I admit, though, that I tend to push toward weaning once I'm pregnant, for two reasons. 1) Because once nausea hits, it doesn't much appeal to me, to say the least. And, 2) because the nipples get sensitive, and breastfeeding HURTS!

Once we do start weaning, I think it is important to realize that while the older baby probably no longer needs breast milk for nutrition, (s)he still needs that cuddle time with the Mommy. We made an easy transition by giving him a pacifier when he just wants to suck, and I still rock him in my chair. That's all he needs now, and he doesn't even ask to be nursed anymore. He's a happy, satisfied little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments!